Tuesday, July 17, 2018

CALIFORNIA: Pet's Rest Cemetery


Visiting cemeteries has become a bit of a tradition for us when traveling. Cemeteries provide a tranquil break from noisy cities and can often provide us with an interesting array of local history. So, of course, we made it a priority to visit our nation's Necropolis - Colma, California. Colma is a small town just south of San Francisco, where the dead outnumber the living by 1000 to 1.  This small town was founded as a necropolis in 1924 - "necropolis" literally translates to "city of the dead" - and is the only one within the USA. 

Colma contains 17 cemeteries including a pet cemetery - Pet's Rest. Personally I find it most difficult to visit pet cemeteries. Maybe it's just due to a lifelong experience with pets, but I just find myself on the verge of tears reading these headstones - more so than in many human cemeteries. We spotted grave sites for beloved cats, dogs, fish, rabbits, guinea pigs, turtles, and even monkeys.

While sad, Pet's Rest is clearly a well cared for resting place for furry (or scaley) friends. The grounds were very well maintained and you can tell that a lot of love goes into this place. If you'd like to get a closer look at some of these photos, click to enlarge.












BLOGLOVIN | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | ETSY

4 comments:

  1. I've never been to a pet cemetery, and I've certainly never heard of one like this! I know I would definitely tear up wandering through this place, I am a huge pet lover. The little sayings are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! I think my favorite is "Good Morning Turtle". It's just so sweet!

      Delete
  2. Oh man I HAVE to go here if only for that incredible sign!!

    ReplyDelete